Praying for our sweet little guy...

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Nervous, but Grateful....




Tomorrow morning will be Caden's repeat hearing test called an ABR. He needs to be asleep for this because they need to make sure he is not registering other sounds or that other sounds are not interfering with the test. He is not going under anesthesia; we just have to make sure he is tired enough by the time we get to the facility that he sleeps through the test. This should be very interesting. The test will begin at 8:00 in the morning. They would like him to be awake for at least 3 hours prior to the test so that he is sleepy enough by the time we get there. So, if you do the math that means he needs to be up at 5:00a.m. He does get up around that time some mornings, but usually conks right back to sleep. I am not sure what we can do to keep a tired, hard of hearing, two-month-old awake for three hours.




I just want to ask for prayers and good thoughts that there will be some hearing seen on this test. How the test is administered is that they attach electro-nodes to Caden's head that will actually pick up on his brain waves. They will be looking for specific spikes of brain activity in response to the sound that they put up to his ears. The test lasts for about an hour. If Caden should wake up prior to the end of the test then we have to come back and repeat this procedure. Oh, Caden, please be very, very sleepy tomorrow.




Whatever the tests results may be I am so proud of how hard Caden has worked in the short month that he has been home from the NICU. He struggles every day to keep his airway clear and this has been especially hard with his cold. He doesn't get the luxury of breastfeeding or any oral feedings that most babies have. He wants to suck so badly, but because of his cleft lip he can't hold a pacifier in his mouth. In times where I get discouraged about things I have to remind myself how far we have come since those early days in the NICU. I posted a picture of Caden right after his heart surgery. He looks like a mess. I am so happy he is home with his family now. Whether he can hear or not and to what ability he may have hearing; I am just very thankful that we have our son. He has really taught me so much about life and love in his little time here on Earth. I certainly would like things to be different for his sake, but I am grateful for what I have gained from having him in my life.




Mary

8 comments:

  1. Prayers and thoughts for you tomorrow...you are most definitely blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's me Jenna, I love you and hope the hearing test goes ok. I love Caden he looks so sweet. I like playing with him. Thanks so much for having him. See you after school.
    Love and kisses,
    Your daughter Jenna :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, you and Chad have shown so much courage and the little guy is just beautiful. We keep you in our prayers everyday. I can't wait to get to hold him! XOXO Aunt Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you. You are amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've all been on my heart and mind today. With love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mary. I'm your cousin, Matt's wife. I don't think I have actually met you yet. haha I just wanted to say Linda sent me to your blog and I will be praying for you all. Please do not hesitate to call us if you need something. -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Mary, It's James. I admire you so much for doing what you're doing and handling it so well. Caden is the sweetest little boy I've ever seen. The first time I held his big blue eyes were so full of life like you said, and he's such a trooper. I love you, Chad, the girls, and Caden so much. Molly and I love spending time with you guys. If you need anything just let me know. I am praying for him and thinking about you all the time. The blog is great. See you soon. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary you are truly an inspiration and have brought much joy into my life! You are simply amazing and have such an endeering glow and warmth to you. God bless your beautiful baby boy. He is a fighter just like his parents and is a miracle. Thank you for your kind heartedness. You are one of a kind, and I am very lucky to know someone as special as you.Keep up the great work Mama! Love, Molly

    ReplyDelete