Praying for our sweet little guy...

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Leaps and Bounds.....

at the "Race for the Cure"

Visiting Auntie at USD


The girls and "Coach Dad"


Time sure goes by so very fast. I know I have said this many times, but I just have to say it again. The weeks just whiz by and next thing we know we start a new month. It is so hard to believe that September is nearly over. It is, also, hard to comprehend that our Sweet Caden is 10 1/2 months old! These past months have flown in a blurry daze at times whipping from one appointment to another. I look at my weekly planner full of lots of appointments and reminders and I wonder how I will make it through the week, and before I know it lovely Friday has arrived! Then it is a weekend of soccer games, and just as we are settling into the weekend Sunday night is back again! I am sure many can relate to the craziness.

Caden has been doing pretty well lately. Other than a scary bout of pneumonia and two ear infections, along with a medicine that made it look like he had bloody poop (T.M.I.) he has been fairing quite well. Big news around here is that he is crawling. He is on his hands and knees and literally crawling! I am so amazed at this because I truly never knew if I would see the day. We have never been given any real guarantees or prognoses on what he may do, so this was very exciting. He is also starting to sign a bit. He signs mommy, daddy, doggy, and waves bye-bye. He doesn't do this consistently, but enough to assure us that he is really trying to sign. He really engages with people, as well, when they are signing to him. If you show him something he will look at the object and then back to your hands as if saying,"Tell me what this is!". I absolutely love his sign language teacher, too. She comes every other week and is very enthusiastic about teaching Caden and the family sign language. She truly emulates a deep passion for what she does. The girls adore her. We, also, ran into her this weekend at the Susan G. Komen "Race for the Cure." What are the odds?!

Other exciting news is that Caden has finalized his evaluation for his cochlear implants. It has been medically approved for one ear and we are now waiting for our insurance to approve things. Once our insurance gives the OK Caden will be scheduled. This means it could happen any time now. I am in awe and I think a little bit of denial that he will be actually hearing soon. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but it is just amazing what can be done for people in this day and age. There are, of course, risks that go along with performing the surgery. Along with the obvious risk of going under anesthesia, there is a slight risk of damaging his facial nerve that gives him all of his wonderful facial expressions. The doctor assured me that he has never cut this nerve, but the risk does exist. Also, if the facial nerve is in the wrong place that interferes with the surgery he will not be able to get the implant. Weighing the risks to benefits we definitely feel it is worth it. We will keep everyone posted on the surgery date.

The girls are adjusting well to the new school schedule and enjoying there friends and teachers. They love soccer and playing with there very busy baby brother. It is certainly a full house around here!



Mary

5 comments:

  1. I'm always so excited to read your posts and seeing those gorgeous faces! Glad all is going so well for all of you. You are always in our thoughts.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY YAY YAY for crawling! That is such great news! Go Caden! :-)
    And... he's signing!!! Woo Hoo! LOVE reading this, too! These are huge milestones... huge!!!
    A big visit to see Auntie at college... what fun! Oh, and the girls look so cute with Coach Daddy!

    It made my morning to see this update :-). So very glad things are going so well!

    (Since Caden had pneumonia, did they discuss doing RSV shots this year? Just curious! Glad that "ick" is behind you!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, This post makes my heart soar! I am SO thrilled to read that Caden is crawling, signing and on his way to cochlear implants! So many beautiful milestones! I absolutely celebrate all of them with you. Give Sweet Caden a snuggle from Viv and me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Mary! How cool that Caden is crawling and signing, moving right along with his milestones :) Great new photos.

    Best,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary!
    Just thinking about you... and it dawned on me that little Mr. Caden probably just had or is about to have his first birthday! I can't remember... late October or November?

    Hope it was/is fabulous!!! SO VERY MUCH to celebrate!

    xoxo
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete