Praying for our sweet little guy...

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Appointments...





We are starting to recognize the theme of this year - appointments. Not exactly the way one enjoys spending the day, but necessary to keep Caden healthy and thriving. Ironically, as most of you know, this is being faced with what fuels my anxiety every day. I have always had health related anxiety and it has been difficult to go to multiple doctors hearing the multiple aspects of Caden that we need to be on top of throughout his life. I compare it to someone who has a fear of heights being told they have to live on the roof of a skyscraper. I feel like I am in panic-mode a lot of the time. My mind really wanders (you know this!), and I imagine all sorts of scenarios for our life with Caden.






We met with a pediatric ENT this week. He was about as friendly as a rock, and treated Caden as if he were a science experiment; poking and prodding for over an hour while Caden screamed hysterically. Just a blast!!! I left in tears and Chad was a little peeved to say the least. It wasn't that he was giving us information that we didn't know, it was the way he was delivering this information to us. Summing things up he feels that Caden is at high risk for aspiration because of his reflux and difficulty swallowing. He also wants us to wait on the lip surgery because Caden has one very narrow nostril that will be difficult to breathe through once his nose is repaired. He said Caden's throat is very raw and swollen from refluxing, too. He wasn't very positive in the whole hearing department, either. Caden is going to have a repeat hearing screening so please pray that we will get a little positive news compared to the the last tests.






We met the the GI doctor, too. She took Caden off of one of his medications, Reglan. This has seemed to really help him. He is less irritable and the larger vomiting spells have really improved. He is still on a 24 hour drip feeding schedule, but we were given the O.K. to try and condense this. We are hoping Caden will tolerate a larger amount of food over a shorter period of time.






Lastly, we met with a occupational therapist that is going to work with Caden on his oral feeding abilities. We will need to go to CHOC twice a week for these appointments. They are going to try many different types of bottles and they will be doing a muscle stimulation treatment. We really hope these help him to learn how to eat more efficiently. I cannot wait for the day I can kiss this feeding tube good-bye!






After one of our long appointments we came home and the girls put on quite a performance. They really know how to lighten the mood around here. They are so funny doing these little dance routines. It reminds me of when I was younger and I would force my brothers to dress up like girls and dance with me (sorry Rob and James!). Poor Caden. If Natalie is anything like me there is a dance routine waiting for him someday!






Thanks for all the well wishes, and keep the prayers coming!






Mary



2 comments:

  1. It makes me so happy to know your sweet girls are there to dance and sing for you...even after a really difficult day. What blessings! I have no doubt Caden has some dance routines in his future - wrangled in by his older, enthusiastic sisters - would we have it any other way :-)? Give your Sweet Caden a snuggle for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caden is SO precious and surrounded by prayers, love and support! I laughed out loud when I read “no, he just had a lot of cleft lips”

    Great job with the blog, you are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete